It’s a new year – take a new approach – try on a new attitude and send a card or letter instead of an email or text!
12 Inspirations for 2012 to stimulate ideas and conversation!
1. The new Black – Tangerine … try it out.
2. Read Glimmer by Warren Berger – design ideas that come from thinking possibility. Bruce Mau shares 10 design principles that will enable you to look at creative problem solving! Begin anywhere – jump fences, ask stupid questions, embrace constraints …
3. Go to Palm Springs… Modernism Week (Feb. 16th – 26th). Experience the mecca of Mid Century Modernism and the landmarks of Richard Neutra, Albert Frey, John Lautner, William Cody and Donald Wexler. Don’t forget the world class art at the Palm Springs Art Museum, and near and dear to my heart, spa and retail therapy is abundant! (visitpalmsprings.com psmuseum.org the-spring.com)
4. Experience pure visual and sensual beauty and shop for a cause – Urban Zen off of Santa Monica Blvd in the heart of West Hollywood is an amazing collection of artifacts, jewlery, clothing, home and fashion accessories. Donna Karen has created a life style environment with a commitment to preservation of the artisan – honoring culture and sustainability. 9045 Nemo Street – just north of Santa Monica Blvd. east of Doheny (urbanzen.com).
5. Graffiti goes inside! The Silk Trading Co. 360 S. La Brea Ave., Los Angeles is featuring a collaboration of artist Mike Saijo and textile master Hayashi Sensei… Street Style meets English Literature Décor.
6. Celebrate Art in LA 1945-1980 with more than 60 museums and galleries that are part of Pacific Standard Time (PST) – initiated by the Getty Foundation. PST represents modern art exhibitions through April 2012 (pacificstandardtime.org).
7. Shop for fun! Tools of the Imagination – Jac Zagoory Designs (www.jzpen.com)
8. Rough it but make sure it is Rough Luxe Design. Faraheh Media, a curated collection of commercial and residential projects (Hennessey + Ingalls Book Store @ 214 Wilshire Blvd. Santa Monica).
9. Brunch like you are in the South of France! St. Tropez by way of NYC… Bagatelle comes to LA from NYC Meatpacking District – DJ and Brioche french toast… music and dancing in the afternoon @ 755 North La Cienaga Blvd. (bistrobagatelle.com).
10. Green Wines – Conscious Wine – online wine shop. Not only are the wines made from organically grown grapes, but they also pursue sustainable practices ad 4% of the sales go to a charity of the shopper’s choice (www.consciouswine.com). A couple of recommendations: Willamette Valley – Elizabeth’s Reserve Pinot Noir 2009 and Napa Valley – Grgich Hills Estate Chardonnay 2008
11. Remember Valentine’s Day!
12. Take a LEAP of faith. BELIEVE in yourself. LAUGH and ENJOY a slice of chocolate cake! The “Best Cake Artist” is right here in LA at the Montage Hotel in Beverly Hills.
Barbara Cooper, Industry IIDA