A Note of Appreciation
As my Presidency of IIDA SoCal comes to a close, we can look back on a year that has been very productive and successful. We started out financially strong, and I am pleased to report that we continue to be one of the most financially strong chapters within the IIDA organization.
Last year when I began my Presidency, I outlined a series of challenges to the Board. Not only have we met those challenges, but we have been able to exceed them in ways we could not have imagined.
- Advocacy, formerly known as GRA, was challenged to collaborate with our allied industry partners. Today, our relationships with ASID and IDCC are stronger than ever, and by working together we were able to succeed in our Sunset Review of SB208 and the defeat AB2192
- The City Centers were asked to validate that every event is consistent with our Chapter mission. Not only are we well into this process, but we have established an entirely new City Center to better serve our members in the IE.
- Communications was charged to evaluate all our methods of communication. As a result we have forged media partnerships with Biznow and Architect’s Newspaper, created a strong alliance with WestEdge, and we are in the midst of redesigning our website to strengthen communication with our members.
- My goal for Membership was to enhance the participation of our members, and to communicate the benefits of IIDA membership to our community. Based on the findings from last year’s Membership Survey, we are starting to better address what our members are looking for from IIDA.
- The Professional Development team was asked to support the City Centers in providing the CEU’s required for active membership. We are now well on our way to providing those CEU’s at the local level and at the Chapter level through a very successful Speaker Series, and by sponsoring round tables and panel discussions for our community.
- Student Affairs has continued to expand the number of Campus Centers and helped make them a relevant part of our Chapter. And next spring we will be hosting the first West Coast Regional Student Design Charette.
- Sponsorship has expanded our base by reaching out to new industry partners, at all levels of sponsorship. We have succeeded in increasing our sponsorship commitments in a very challenging corporate environment.
The role of President of the IIDA SoCal Chapter can be challenging and frustrating at times, but it is also infinitely rewarding. What is sometimes overlooked in the midst of the constant hurdles that we all encounter, is that by taking an active role in this organization you are forging relationships with some of the best people in arguably the best niche of the design profession. Over this past year, I have been truly honored and humbled to have been able to be able to support the work of this Chapter, and I thank you for inviting me to represent you as your President.
David Fridlund, IIDA, AIA, LEED AP
President, IIDA Southern California Chapter