Wirt Design Group – Design Principal, Los Angeles
Wirt Design Group – Design Principal, Los Angeles
Wirt Design Group is hiring a Design Director in Downtown Los Angeles.
The Design Director is responsible for leading the creative efforts of multiple interior architecture/design teams on projects from the initial marketing stages through construction and final occupancy. The role requires a combination of pragmatic thinking, combined with a unique design perspective to lead design teams and develop next-generation talent, as well as bring new approaches to the design process and help our clients design what’s possible.
The Design Director is responsible for developing or overseeing the development of a Design Plan for each project, that aligns with the financial constraints of the client contract. At project inception, the Principal-in-Charge, the Design Director, and the Project Designer will collectively develop a Staffing and Project Work Plan that conforms to the scope and the fees for the assignment.
The Design Director will seek to enhance public awareness of the firm’s design capabilities and accomplishments through their interaction with other industry leaders, such as Project Managers and Real Estate Brokers. The Design Director will also provide design review of the company brand and marketing collateral on an as-needed basis.
The Design Director reports to the President of the firm.
- Education: An architecture or interior design degree from an accredited college.
- Licensure/Certification: Must be licensed/certified (AIA, NCIDQ, or CID). LEED, WELL, or FitWel accreditation preferred.
- Qualifications: Must have a minimum of fifteen (15) years of workplace interior architecture/design experience and demonstrate technical proficiency in production and coordination of documents in all phases of the commercial interior design practice.
- Skilled in: AutoCAD, Sketchup, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and hand sketching. Knowledge of Ajera and Newforma are beneficial.
- Concise verbal, written, and graphic communication skills.
- Ability to supervise and direct project teams.
Leadership & Management
- Demonstrate motivation in seeking new responsibilities and challenges.
- Set goals, prioritize and plan work activities for self-management, and use time efficiently.
- Work with the Principal-in-Charge and the Designer/Project Lead to estimate hours for assigned tasks and finish tasks within agreed upon budget hours. Oversee/coach direct reports to do the same.
- Meet with the leadership team to discuss personnel evaluations. Monitor employee performance and take appropriate action to report both positive and negative issues.
- Manage project technical documentation process in-conjunction with the Technical Services Director.
- Lead collaborative design, production staff, and consultants.
- Understand contractual liabilities as they relate to projects, including fee calculations. When necessary, revise work plan to achieve the fee budget.
- Use Ajera to track time and activity for each project and prepare plans of action with the team for resolving project-related issues.
- Develop complete knowledge and follows the firm’s procedures, standards, and core processes.
- Has the ability to translate the firm’s design vision across and down through projects.
- Manage/lead the design team relationship with the client and consultants to ensure the clients satisfaction through all phases.
- Work closely with the Designer/Project Lead to establish the design objectives for the client in the programming and visioning phases of the projects.
- Promote design quality and collaboration within the project teams during the Schematic and Design Development phases.
- Coordinate, lead, and develop design and details consistent with the project budget.
- Coordinate with the project team in a timely manner to bring closure to any design details.
Communication and Collaboration
- Listen and communicate effectively and professionally.
- Have working knowledge and understanding of the firm’s equipment, software, and filing systems.
- Ability to apprise supervisor and/or client of status of work.
- Establish productive working relationships and deal effectively and cooperatively with team members, consultants, and government agencies.
- Display willingness to make decisions; exhibit sound and accurate judgment; ability to support and explain reasoning for decisions; include appropriate people in decision-making process; and make timely decisions.
- Collaborate with appropriate staff to meet goals and objectives of projects.
- Be proficient with AutoCAD, documentation, and office practice systems.
- Ability to correspond effectively with agencies and consultants.
- Ensure that documents meet the firm’s and the client’s standards and protocols.
- Effectively write meeting minutes, instruction bulletins, change orders, RFI responses, and professional correspondence, as needed.
- Develop and/or assist in review of agreements with clients, consultants, and vendors.
- Develop and/or assist in RFP’S and negotiate contracts with consultants and vendors.
- Manage, direct, and review construction documents and shop drawings for content accuracy and overall design intent in all phases.
- Assist in guiding project team and consultants for appropriate materials and systems.
- Always be professional and respectful in interactions with clients and consultants.
- Be prepared to present role in marketing interviews and business transactions.
- Provide input and assist (as required) in developing additional service requests and review of marketing proposals.
- Assist in resolving technical issues with client.
WDG Core Values;
- Dedicated to team and craft.
- Committed to continued learning.
WDG Core Focus: Empowering Clients with Tailored Design Solutions.
Apply Here Back to Jobs